By Nathan Whitehead
Singer Aaron Carter has broken down in tears at his first gig since coming out as bisexual, which took place at a gay bar in his home town.
Carter, who is well known for kick starting his pop career in the 1990s, took to social media to come out to fans last week, quoting singer Boy George.
Now Carter performed Thursday evening at Hamburger Mary’s in his hometown of Brandon, Florida.
He performed his new single ‘Hard to Love’ which he wrote about his ex-girlfriend who broke up with him earlier this week.
“I just want to say thank you for all your love and support with the LGBTQ community and my announcement,” he told the crowd, breaking down in tears. “It means a lot. Yes I am a bisexual man… I just want to say I am who I am…”
He added: “I just want to say thank you again for believing in me and even if you don’t, I’ll still love you.”
Announcing the gig, the 29-year-old told fans on Instagram, sharing a poster for the event, that it is nearly sold out. Tickets cost $10 and VIP tickets were available which mean fans can meet the pop star. Carter has promised that he will release new music soon.
His coming out was congratulated by the Will and Grace TV show, writing on Twitter: “Welcome to the party, Aaron!” Carter responded to say that he would love a cameo in the new series of Will and Grace.
The 29-year-old told The Bert Show that he felt coming out was an important step before entering his 30s.
“To be honest, I’ve been thinking about it for many years,” Aaron said. “I just felt like it was something I needed to do… It was something that I just felt like was important and I needed to say. “It was a part of a new chapter of turning 30, on 7 December this year.”
He continued: “It wasn’t until I was about 17 until… there was somebody I had a small relationship with,” he said of his own confirmation about his bisexuality. “The process is at your own pace and when you feel comfortable.
“There might be a lot of people who don’t agree with it, but you might be surprised by the people who do. “I was shocked – I was blown away. My fans know that I’m a heart on the sleeve kinda guy. That’s the way I am.”
The performer formally came out last week and has been inundated with positive responses from fans since. He wrote: “To start off, I would like to say that I love each and EVERY ONE of my fans. “There’s something I’d like to say that I feel is important for myself and my identity that has been weighing on my chest for nearly half of my life.
“This doesn’t bring me shame, just a weight and burden I have held onto for a long time that I would like lifted off of me.”
Carter goes on to explain that he always found males and females attractive from a young age, but didn’t begin to come to terms with it until he was older.
“I grew up in this entertainment industry at a very young age and when I was around 13-years-old I started to find boys and girls attractive.
“There were years that went by that I thought about it, but it wasn’t until I was 17-years-old, after a few relationships with girls, I had an experience with a male that I had an attraction to who I also worked with and grew up with,” he wrote.
He finished the moving post by adding that for him, music has always been a safe haven and has been a tool to help him understand his sexuality.
“To me, music has always been my temple.
By David Vandygriff
Hulu will help to develop a TV show based on RuPaul’s life and it already has a tentative title – Queen.
The project, likely a half-hour dramady, will take a fictional look at RuPaul’s rise from genderfucking club kid to gay icon and global drag superstar.
Written by executive producer Gary Lennon, who also helps to produce Orange Is The New Black, the show is set in New York City during the Reagan era 1980s.
Queen is being produced by World of Wonder (RuPaul’s Drag Race), Warner Bros TV, and Bad Robot.
RuPaul is producing alongside director JJ Abrams and Ben Stephenson from Bad Robot, as well as World of Wonder’s Fenton Bailey and Randy Barbato.
No word has been made about casting yet.
It is unknown whether the show will feature characters we know that Ru knew at that period in his life, like a young(er) Lady Bunny and a vogueing Michelle Visage.
By David Vandygriff
The Los Angeles LGBT Center has acquired the internet domain Gay.com, estimated to be worth $6.9 million.
VS Media and its forerunner live cam site, Flirt4Free, donated the site. Most recently, the domain Gay.com was a place for LGBT individuals to find a community.
When VS Media acquired the domain last year, they contacted five LGBT charities to possibly take it over. They asked for proposals explaining how the organizations would transform the site to help support the LGBT community.
‘We were thrilled to see the enthusiasm and ideas the challenge brought forth by the various charities,’ said Flirt4Free President Gregory Clayman.
Executive Vice President Brad Estes announced the Center’s acquisition. ‘The Los Angeles LGBT Center provides services for more LGBT people than any other organization in the world,’ he said. ‘I’m very happy to announce that the future of Gay.com will go on within their extraordinary organization.’
‘We believe that if the Los Angeles LGBT Center follows its plans as outlined, its efforts with the domain will have a massive impact on the organization’s charity and the LGBT community not only in Los Angeles but everywhere,’ Clayman added.
‘We’ve only begun to think about future possibilities for the domain’
The URL will direct to the Center’s new blog Vanguard. The change will take place as early as this week, according to the Center’s press release. The site shares stories about health, social services and housing, culture and education, and leadership and advocacy within the community.
‘We’re incredibly grateful to VSMedia for turning control of Gay.com to the Center,’ said Jim Key, the Center’s chief marketing officer.
Founded in 1969, the Center helps ‘more LGBT people than any other organization in the world’.
Key continued: ‘We’ve only begun to think about future possibilities for the domain. But for now, the traffic from Gay.com to our new blog will help even more people learn how we’re building a world where LGBT people thrive as healthy, equal, and complete members of society.’
By Jessica Long
A former Navy surgeon has announced that she will waive the fee for trans military personnel who are seeking surgery.
Dr. Christine McGinn, who is trans herself, has said that any trans people scheduled for surgery with her will not have to pay the fees if the government refuses to.
Dr. McGinn’s comments come after President Trump announced that the US military would not be accepting trans troops and blamed the cost.
Talking on CNN, Dr McGinn pledged to “take care” of trans veterans.
“If the commander-in-chief won’t take care of our veterans, our veterans will.
“I will do surgery for free on the number of people that I have already lined up for surgery.”
The doctor, who was previously nominated for the Navy’s flight surgeon of the year award, explained that the policy – which is not yet official – was obviously transphobic.
“It’s obvious discrimination,” she said. “I think any fifth-grader could see that.”
She went on to explain that Trump’s excuse of cost was not a good enough reason to ban trans military personnel.
“I think it’s being twisted and spun to make it seem like it would be more than it is.
By Jennifer Davis
Oil and gas and chemical companies have taken a stand against a proposed laws to restrict trans bathroom use in Texas.
The Dallas Morning News reports that CEOs from BP America, Chevron North America E&P, Dow Chemical Co., Exxon Mobil Global Services and Halliburton have opposed efforts to ban trans people from using gender-appropriate bathrooms.
The CEOs said that proposed measures would restrict their ability to hire and keep talent in the state.
The companies have also stood up against such measures in the past.
A special session was called by Governor Greg Abbott in part to attempt to pass legislation which would restrict transgender bathroom use to that which corresponds to sex at birth.
Previous efforts to pass the legislation failed during the regular session which ended in May.
The Senate in the US state of Texas last week passed a discriminatory anti-trans bathroom bill.
The Bill forces people to use the bathroom that corresponds with the gender they were assigned at birth.
It also prevents public buildings such as schools and government offices from enforcing rules which would allow trans people to use the bathroom that corresponds with their gender identity.
Ten hours of testimony was heard at the weekend before a Senate Committee passed the legislation.
It then went to the full Senate and passed with 21 votes to 10.
Senate Bill 91 debated last week. The two pieces of legislature are almost identical.
SB 6 was a similar bill that was passed earlier this year in the Senate, but it failed in the house.
Activists spoke for 18 hours during testimonies against SB 6, meaning that the Senate set a registration limit for the hearing of SB 3.
Senator Lois Kolkhorst, who authored all three pieces of legislature, said in the opening of the hearing for SB 3 that it was a “Texan tradition” to “take care of these issues”.
Kali Cohn, a staff attorney for ACLU Texas, said that the bathroom bill is in violation of federal law and the US Constitution.
Cohn testified before the senate committee, referencing Supreme Court cases and other legal precedents the ACLU says makes SB 3 and SB 91 illegal.
“They’ve introduced legislation that targets transgender Texans under the guise of privacy and safety,” Cohn said. “That’s not what those bills do — what they in fact do is push transgender people away from being able to participate in public life.”
Business owners in large cities in the state have already expressed fears about the effect the Bill is going to have.
Phillip Jones, CEO of the Dallas Convention & Visitors Bureau said that Dallas had already seen losses of $40 million, and could expect to lose another $1 billion if the law is passed.